Thursday, October 30, 2008

Kiss my crocpot ! Black bean pumpkin chili

Yesterday was one of those busy days with planning, housework and I wanted something really fast, satisfying and point friendly for dinner. This week I am working without a definite menu plan for some reason, so I was looking to see what I had on hand to work with, and my thoughts led to chili. Or at least what we call chili in this house. Son and I have a real sensitivity to different spices, hubby dislikes most beans , so what flies for us may not fly for all. However, for those who love spicy, a can of jalapenos or such could be easily added.

Black Bean Pumpkin Chili- serves 4 ( 4 pts)

1 lb fat free chicken breast( I grind my own to save money)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can solid pack pumpkin OR 2 c cooked butternut squash
1 large jar salsa

brown ground chicken in a skillet in olive oil and place in crockpot. Add remaining ingredients and cook on low for 4 hours

I serve this in big bowls on top of brown rice with a tossed salad on the side. It makes for a very filling, healthy and fairly cheap meal. I wait until chicken breasts go on sale, buy as much as I can carry and then grind it with my Kitchen Aid mixer attachment. Some I turn into different sausage mixes, and some I just leave to use as ground beef. Using boneless skinless breast is one easy option, but it can be done with full breasts. Removing the skin, fat and bones is an easy task with a sharp knife. The savings to the wallet is substantial, and the savings calorie wise makes it even better.

No comments: