Sunday, January 11, 2009

New week, new snow

Thank you for the encouraging posts !!! I know that a bad weigh in is not the end of the world, and certainly not the reason to quit trying. No matter what the scale says, I KNOW that I am better for my efforts in ways that the scale does note measure.The scale is just a brat some mornings ! Aging and changing hormonal cycles impacts everything in your body, and you can handle the changes better with healthy lifestyle actions . Second, or perhaps first, is the fact that we began this journey to help our son get to a normal healthy weight, and so far he is just swimming along. He is three and a half pounds away from the 80 pound mark, and that is indeed proof that we are succeeding in our lifestyle choices. Mom and Dad are older and things move more slowly.

We had an all day snow yesterday. For once the weathermen were right on the money ! A fresh 10 inch layer of the white stuff came down, making travel rather out of the question. We live in an apartment complex where the shoveling is taken care of, so we could not even earn the activity points doing that. The day was spent making phone calls to find if certain activities would be canceled due to the weather, trying to figure out intelligent storage solutions for the apartment, playing together and numerous discussions, as well as a little Wii fit work out.

Breakfast
Pumpkin oats( Cook rolled oats with a can of solid packed pumpkin, brown sugar and cinnamon)
crasins, almonds, sunflower seeds,pepitas,flax, coconut,olive oil- a definate yum !
Yo plus digestive yogurt ( it likes me !)
coffee, water- as my son says, there is no life without coffee. Mommy has no brain without it.


Lunch
Boccca burger without bread
tomato basil garlic topping-brushetta topping on the burger
celery and carrots- the carrots got buried
homemade hummus for dipping
apple
nonfat yogert with cocoa powder, splenda and oat bran ( like a pudding but filling)
Tab- a blast from the past that does not taste the same

Dinner
Coconut curry pork chops( lean pork shops pan seared in a T olive oil with curry powder, garlic and 3 T coconut milk)
quinoa - a really low point, chewy healthy whole grain
Broccoli,califlower carrot medely - a frozen veggie standard
salad- spring greens, red bell peppers, green onions, mushrooms , 1 t dried cranberries)
supplements -easier for me to remeber at dinner than at breakfast

snacks
12 waters (96 oz)
1 sugar free jello
YO plus digestive yogert
sugar free chocolate mint pudding
TLC Trail Mix Bar ( really satisfied my hunger !!)

Exercise
Wii fit 20 min-yoga

Filling foods 12( for the Valentines day challenge folks)

The snow makes me feel very lethargic , and it is always a good idea to take an easy day every now and then so I did not feel the need to push it. I am feeling kind of cagey and snowbound today, so we are going to head out this afternoon for lunch and power shopping before the next round of snow hits. They say we are due to get another 4 inches of the white stuff and the winds are going to pick up. Don't know about anyone else, but I am about ready for winter to be over. No such luck in these parts, but I can dream ! This morning I have a date with my bike, the Wii fit and some abdominal work.

OH ! A reader asked how I make hummus. It is really simple :

Homemade Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans -chick peas, drained
1 T tahini paste ( it is sesame seed paste)
2 T lemon juice
garlic powder to taste- I like garlic so 2 tsp

Place all in a food processor and whirl till smooth. Store in the refrigerator in covered container.

There is another variation of this I make for my son to use as peanut butter on sandwiches, and this one comes to 1 point per tablespoon- to one can of drained garbanzoa add 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, a tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of splenda if desired. One of his favorite snacks is a peanut butter sandwich( no jelly), and before this journey he would eat six of them with about a quarter cup of peanut butter per sandwich. I came across this recipe early on in the journey and started keeping it on hand. White bread was thrown out in favor of a high fiber light whole wheat bread( Healthy Life) , and the sanedwiches started being made with 1 tablespoon of this peanut butter hummus stuff, and limit was set to 2 sandiches. It was a compromise that has proven most successful to his weight loss !

2 comments:

Shhhhh said...

I'm ready for winter to be over too and we're lucky if we get even 1"-2" of snow a year. hehehe

I'm just not a cold weather person.

Great looking food. I'm partial to pork chops. YUM!

Psalmist said...

We got ourselves quite a bit of snow too!

Your peanut butter hummus sounds good! I think I'm going to have to give that a try. :o )