Monday, April 6, 2009

When did I get to be such a mom person ??

For some reason , yesterday morning I spent more time cooking and doing things kitchen wise than anything else. Ever have days like that ? I made a batch of chicken sausage sandwiches for the freezer ( hubby's lunch), strained another batch of chicken stock, got veggies chopped up for dinner, and it just felt like I was never going to get out of the kitchen . A thought crossed my mind and made me laugh- if I had not learned to be around food and not let it tempt me the last time I did weight loss, I would be doomed to failure this time ! When you are a mom of young kids or special needs kids, I think you wind up making some kind of food thing for someone at least 30 times a day . Or as one of my sisters calls it "the 30 meal a day cooking plan". There seems to always be meal prep or snack prep or clean up or meal planning or bulk cooking or something going on .

After that grand excitement , hubby got home from morning services , we grabbed lunch and went out to do some shopping. I got a new Bissell Pro Heat carpet steam cleaner. This fact makes me moe excited than the prospect of a trip to Disneyland ! We have tan wall to wall carpet, and I HATE carpeting because it is never really clean. Tan carpeting anyplace where living things reside is proof that there are Sadists in the world of Interior Design. We had an old steam cleaner that does not use heat or scrubs, and it seems to do more to annoy the dirt than lift it. Now that we are on spring break , I get to spend the week playing with my new toy. I don't know if that is a sad fact or what. I am begining to remind myself of a scene in the movie For Better or Worse where the Amish woman tells Kristie Alley that they can now have some fun by scrubbing the floors.

For dinner I made a batch of noodleless lasagna in the crock pot. I took a chub of ground turkey, browned it, added a jar of spaghetti sauce , and then sliced eggplant, zuchinni, mushrooms and onions. Layer the veggies, the sauce and 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzerella in a crockpot and cook on low for 5 hrs. We had this with a simple spring greens salad and diet soda. A little watery, but very tasty. I made it without noodles because I have yet to find any whole grain or low carb lasagna noodles in any of the markets we visit. It also gives a good reason to add eztra veggies to a dish that would not normally be that heavy in veggies for our table.

I plan on having fun moving furnature and steam cleaning my carpet today. Hope yours is a great one !

No comments: