Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So begins another trip round the sun

On this day , 52 years ago in a modern hospital , I entered this world , backwards( frank breech) , squeaking and squealing with so much birth trauma that I was the last baby delivered by that doctor. He went on to be my pediatrician for the next 12 years , so my birth was not a total career crushing experience for him. That is not the point of this entry though- today is my birthday and the beginning of the 53rd trip I will make around the sun as a citizen of Planet Earth. I arrive at this point exactly the same weight I was this time last year ( in spite of making serious and committed efforts at weight loss for almost 3 years now), a little wiser and a little more achy than I was last year. Exercise and healthy eating will do a lot to improve a body, but we are not designed to live forever and the human machine does slowly break down. A 75 year old classic car does not preform like a modern Hybrid car, and a 50 something woman will not preform like a 30 year old. It's a fact, so why should I be upset about it ?? ( I am not, but I wanted to toss that out to any who might think that I am).

We had intended to go down to the cemetery yesterday but rain made us change our plans. Instead we went shopping to find Nick some summer clothes, continue the quest for wedding outfits and out for lunch. We found one for Nick, and after looking at several options I have decided to make my own. I am really looking forward to sewing clothes for myself again ! The clothes are good, but the scraps from construction and the possibility of a crazy quilt something afterwords is even better !We then came home and tried to solve a computer network problem that has both Bob and I totally confused ( and has eaten up a lot of time in the attempts to solve it). I did notice , while crawling around on the floor to retrieve cables from the under and behind of things that my legs seem to have less flexibility. Time to add some yoga to the mix I think ! Un limber muscles can be easily hurt for one thing. I have been neglecting those kinds of exercises in the quest to try to squeeze in as much cardio work as I can with limited time and resources. Cardio has really not been my friend in the least in this journey. I think perhaps as we age, different activities take on a greater level of importance. Our bodies just need different things.

No plans for anything special today . Just work out, first day of Summer School and the usual house things. We kind of celebrated over the weekend with kicking back from the normal somewhat, and I consider my new computer as my birthday present. All there is to do now is begin that 53rd trip round the sun. Perhaps if my hormones settle down I will arrive at this point next year 10 lbs less than today. That would be my birthday wish !

4 comments:

WWSuzi said...

And i have no doubt that you can do it!

Leslie said...

Happy birthday! And I love the saying, "Each day is a new beginning." Just staying in the game, alert, open, present in each moment as much as possible, will help make choices that may find us both in a different place and lower weight next year at this time!

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Happy Birthday, Diane!!! May you have many more trips around the sun!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Happy Birthday Diane! I hope you have a wonderful day and year!