Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nettles- my love !!


It was another humid day yesterday, which meant another day of having to deal with arthritis. It gets SOOOO frustrating to know that you must move to not only lose weight but to just plain feel better but be in a state where every single step makes you feel like your knees are no longer going to support your body weight and you have to think about every step , looking for something to grab onto in the event that your joints do give out. It was one of those days where my arnica rub was not working, asprin was not working , nor was Tylenol Arthritis strength working ! However, I had to press on. We did school, I had the house to clean ( vacuuming while hanging on walls is an interesting thing), and I got the menu planned for next week. When Bob got home we had planned to go out shopping to one of the fabric stores to look for a pattern and fabric, but the pain was so bad I almost decided to skip it. I didn't , and I told myself at least in a store I will be able to walk around with the aid of a cart. It's not a marathon run or even a jog, but it is movement and I needed it. So we went, I really did not find any inspiration, and we came home. I drug my extremely achy body upstairs, and noticed a medicinal tincture I had made sometime back on the shelf, but had forgotten to use. It was labeled Arthritis Tincture, and I made it because it addresses two of the big issues with arthritis- pain and swelling. I was desperate for some relief ( to the point of seriously thinking about getting an appointment for a knee replacement), so I decided to give this a try. Just 10 drops in a glass of water. 20 minutes later, I felt the first real relief I have had in about 3 weeks . An hour later I was no longer needing to hang onto walls and other stable things when I walked. Last night when we went to bed i was able to feel comfortable instantly and when I woke up to pay a potty call I was able to simply stand up from the bed and walk. This stuff is a near miracle ! This morning I feel so good , we are going to go out for a walk once Nick wakes up. What's in it ? Willow bark and stinging nettles. Willow bark contains the same chemical compound as asprin, but before the refinment of a lab , and so it contains some natural compounds that prevent one of the worst side affects of asprin( bleeding). Nettles , amongst other things , help the body to block inflammatory substances from attacking the body. I think I am in love , once again, with nettles !!!

As to the rest of the day, food wise it was good. I have decided to keep and post a food log to help me transition into the Core program ...and give a reason to post food pictures again !

Food log
Breakfast
1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup berries, 1/3 cup homemade granola ( oatmeal pumpkin seeds sliced almonds honey and oil), coffee, 32 oz water
Lunch
1 oz deli ham, 1 cup carrot and celery sicks, 1 apple, 1 sugar free fudgsicle 16 oz water
Snack
3 cups air popped popcorn 16 oz water
Dinner
1 1/2 cups 8 hr stew, green salad with 1 T cashew /Hibiscus mix, 1 T dressing, Diet rite soda
Snack
1 c nonfat plain yogurt, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup homemade granola

8 Hour Stew ( Gluten Free, Core)


3 cups peeled and cubed Potatoes
2 cups quartered Mushrooms
1 1/2 cups chopped Carrots
1 cup chopped Onions
2 cloves Garlic -- minced
1 tsp ground Thyme and dried Basil
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
2 lbs meat cut into 1" cubes ( I used pork)
1 cup FF Chicken broth
1 1/2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 teaspoon lite Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a 3-quart or larger crockpot.
Arrange meat over top of vegetables.
Mix broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
Pour over meat.
Cover and cook on LOW setting for approximately 8 hours.
During the last hour, stir once or twice, breaking apart any turkey cubes that have stuck together. Be careful not to remove the lid for more
than a minute or so. Stir in parsley just before serving. Makes 6 servings

Off to walk and enjoy a pain free day !

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Your stew looks great. I love food pictures!! It'll be interesting to see your transition back to the Core plan. WW ought to get a load of it.

So sorry to hear your arthritis has been acting up, but how fantastic that you found the tincture you'd concocted. Stinging nettles?? Who knew? I'm a big believer in homeopathic remedies that rally the body's natural abilities to heal itself. May your relief be lasting.

Shae said...

The stew looks yummy! Glad you found some relief from the pain.