Wednesday, June 16, 2010

School's out


In spite of my best efforts, it seems brain cells in my son have gone to "Lala"land, and it is either take a summer break or do harm to our relationship, each other, several trees and more. When "Up" becomes a number and so forth,it's time to take a break. Sometimes he just needs to have stuff gel. So School is out for summer !

Amongst my notes and studies about the body meridians, I came across an article that was comparing the benefits of belly dancing with things like tai chi or qigong for it's abilities to get the energy freely flowing in the meridians and stimulate the lymphatic system, and I remembered having a Video of a pair of Belly Dancing for Fitness twins. It was very enjoyable exercise till my son started laughing at me while I was doing the tape and trying to hang all over me while I exercised. I stopped, he is older and also works out, so I wondered if I could find this on Youtube . SCORE !!!! I decided to add this to my exercise routine. If nothing else,belly dancing is a great way to strengthen the muscles that can prevent women from having things like bladder and uterine prolapse and some of the more unpleasant side affects of menopause. Besides that, it's fun ! So yesterdays exercise looked like this

QiGong breathing exercise
Smiling at Organs
Five animal frolics (QiGong)
Belly Dance workout on YouTube
pedal 30 min

Breakfast and lunch were the same ( swap hummus for the corned beef) but dinner was another variation on a polenta pizza- this time with roast veggies
In this mix was zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, red pepper and red onions. Simply slice them and place on a cookie sheet to roast with the polenta crust.

Polenta Pizza

1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups water
1 c cornmeal
1 T oil
toppings as desired

Bring milk and water to a boil, whisk in cornmeal, stirring
constantly till the mixture is as thick as oatmeal. Remove from
heat and stir in 1 T oil. Spread on a baking sheet to a depth of 1/2
inch, cover with plastic wram and refrigerate 1 hour.Bake at 425 for
25 minutes till it begins to crisp. Prepare toppings( cook your sausage,
vegetables, etc). Place on crust, top with cheese and return to
the oven for 5 minutes, or till the cheese melts.
Here is the finished product with a salad- romaine and watercress topped with fruit salad. We seem to agree tat we are totally addicted to fresh fruit as the only topping for a salad. I don't know why- it just seems to pair so well !

Other good news- I finally found what I am going to wear to this outdoor wedding this Saturday. After searching the stores and not finding what I wanted, I remembered that I had a nice sleeveless summer dress in my closet. It's kind of a funky thing, but can be dressed up or down. I have no idea how casual or how dressy this wedding will be, so I decided that if I added a form fitting tee shirt under it , it would make a cute jumper kind of thing ( and prevent me from going on the quest for a strapless bra.
I like it- and now I just have to figure out what shoes to wear, what to do with my three hairs, make up and all that. At least I will have free time to ponder with school being over !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Polenta Pizza! I love it! I love dresses made into jumpers...it'll look great!

WWSuzi said...

Would you mind sharing the link for the belly dancing :)

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

That dress is perfect for a wedding - I like the idea of being able to dress it up or down.

I love fruit this time of year!