Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Old people ROCK !

I am giggling about the results of last night's Biggest Loser finale. I think it is best summed up with three words- old people rock ! I would like to think that once we get past a certain stage in life ( something I jokingly refer to as the hair pulling stage of our reproductive years), our bodies calm down and we can make them behave in ways we only dreamed of in our 20's. I am between the ages of Ron and Helen ( tho there are many mornings I feel like Jerry), and when you toss aside the game playing aspects, it's folks like these that remind me that we older folks are still forces to contend with. Heck, we survived a childhood of concrete and steel playgrounds, car trips without car seats or seat belts,numerous food additives , the sexual revolution AND Disco . We CAN do this too !

Yesterday began with a breakfast of pumpkin oats topped with crasins, coconut, ground flax, goji berries, wheat bran and olive oil with an apple, Yo plus digestive yogert, green tea and water on the side. Perhaps I am perpetually 2 years old and this breakfast appeals to that part of me. I love mixing and swirling all the toppings in before I eat it . Sort of like playing with healthy finger paint or something.

We were going to go for a walk again yesterday but my son is being affected by all the tree pollen in the air. He gets a bad bout of allergies in the spring, and it usually leads into his one time a year bout of getting really sick. He was complaining of being really stuffed up and feeling "snorky", so I told him we would skip it for today. I did some pilates work with my stability ball and we did the best we could with school for that day. Homeschool kids do not really take sick days- they just get a change in lesson plans.
Lunch was a Cheeseburger removed from Paradise. Make that a grilled turkey burber topped with provalone cheese minus the bun. In it's place were som Kashi Tomato Bruchetta crackers, carrot and celery sticks, cantalope slices, more Yo Plus and hoimemade lentil soup. I do not understand how or what it is about soft wheat breads and wheat pastas that sets my son off but NOT wheat in crackers. It's a mystery to me. Perhaps it is the same thing that makes foods not Kosher for Passover- a kind of levening thing that happens when wheat is exposed to water but not heat for more than 18 minutes in it's manufacturing. I don't know.

For dinner we tried a new variation on a favorite- quick cook polenta ! Boil water, add the box, bring to a boil, stir for 5 minutes and it's done. It comes out just the same as the long cooking or even the crock pot kind. Handy to have on the shelf for a quick but healthy meal option.
We topped it with turkey sasuage sliced and cooked in a jar of marinara sauce with a tossed green salad on the side and lemon water. It gives you more volume than whole wheat pasta, and it is also fun to play with for me ! So it made for an opportunity to entertain my inner toddler twice in one day. When you consider that the inner me was entertained and the outer me was affirmed in a big way, you have to call it a very good day !

3 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Old People do ROCK! There's hope for me, yet:)

I have been dreaming about your polenta with sausage every since you posted! I used to buy instant polenta, now I can't find it in my stores anywhere!

Sugar Bush Primitives said...

I was totally shocked. I would have bet that Tara would have taken it.

JC said...

Yes indeed old folks rock. They pretty much dispelled the myth that after a certain age a person can't lose weight. Good for them. Good for us!

Your food looks yummo.