Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Triumph !


I woke up yesterday with my right knee hurting so bad I could hardly stand on it. I have arthritis and for several reasons I choose NOT to take any prescription drugs for it( mainly because I have no desire to create 15 more problems while solving one). I grabbed some arnica compound to rub on it and applied reiki to get it moving enough to make breakfast , and then I realized something. It was hurting because I have not been moving as much the last 3 days ( the neighbor factor has done a lot to cramp my style). I did NOT want this condition to get worse and land me in a wheel chair or life with a cane or replacement knee surgery, so time to act is NOW. I needed to find some way of moving my knees, no matter what the weather. We had breakfast , did our 30 minutes of Wii Sports resort and then I told Nick we had to go out to walk and I would need him to be my dogsled. ( It is an inside joke- when my knee got bad in the snow and we had to get out, I would ask him if I could hold his arm for stability and I called him my dogsled). So out we went, but it is still cold enough out to really stiffen my joints badly. I pushed through the pain, held onto his arm and we walked till I could not stand it any more and headed in.Once inside and walking in the halls, the pain lessened and I got a brilliant brainstorm ! On the first floor all of the floors are concrete, people are constantly coming in and out, it is out of the drafts and worst of the humidity in the summer, so why not treat it as an indoor track ?? So, let me introduce you to my gym - open 24 hrs, no membership fee and easily accessible without a car
Track consists of 2 stretches of hallway like this and 20 laps around 2 stairwells like this
It takes 15 minutes to walk this circuit, and yesterday we did this 3 times , plus a 30 minute walk outside and the 30 minutes of Wii.. Nick thinks its hysterical walking laps in the hallways for some reason, and I am just psyched that I have found a working solution to my exercise dilemma ! Life is good !!

Breakfast yesterday was oatmeal, and for lunch we had leftover roast veggies with brown rice
While this tasted good, it was not filling enough and we both grabbed a 100 calorie pack of almonds a half hour later ( not pictured)

Not only was it a great day for exercise, it was a great school day as well. We are working through a CPR course for health and Nick is completely and totally getting it. It is always good to see your child grasp a skill, but even better when you know it is something that could one day save a life !

Dinner was a salad of romaine, spinach and watercress topped with roast fennel,red onion, zucchini, mushrooms and red peppers and grilled sandwich steak with a roll on the side. Roast veggies twice in one day- bliss !!

The day ended with more good news- my family is getting together on Sunday for corned beef and cabbage and baby smells, and we will be able to attend ! I am not crazy about boiled cabbage, but it comes with getting to hold my newest grand nephew, playing with my other ones, giving my mom a reiki treatment and being silly with 2 of my sisters, so it's a good thing. I am looking forward to it !

Today is going to be another good one. So say I !!

5 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Now THAT is some creative exercise! Great job, Diane! I love it - no special equipment or cost, but you found a way to make it interesting and different! Awesome :)

Hope your knee is better soon!

Enz said...

Great idea.

When I used to live in a 12 storey apt building, I would walk up the stairs, across the hall to the other set of stairs, up one flight, across the hall back to the other set...etc. It was a great way to get a workout in the winter.

I hope your knee is better today. Thanks for the info/advice re: my heavy legs.

WWSuzi said...

Good for you!! I used to live on the 14th floor of a high rise and i used to climb the stairs and hallways when i couldn't get out :)

Dutch said...

Great job on the exercise. I also wanted to tell you that I love when you put pictures of the food you eat because it gives me some great ideas. Have a wonderful day.

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

That's great about finding your own free, indoor exercise track!! You are very resourceful as well!

I hope you have a great day Diane.