Thursday, March 18, 2010

New food, new method

I tried two new things yesterday. First was at breakfast- something called Black Quinoa. I ran out of the regular variety and all our market had was black quinoa, so I decided to be adventurous and give this one a whirl. I cooked it with a pear and an apple and then topped it with half a navel orange

Verdict is that I don't like this one as much as the regular. The black does not swell as much as the white and it becomes much like eating a bowl of softened poppy seeds. Guess this means I better plan on a trip to Trader Joes this weekend to get some more of the regular stuff !

A lighter exercise day followed, as I needed to get the house cleaned, the menu planned and complete my study on the herb yarrow for medicinal purposes along with doing school. Son asked it we could do canoeing and boxing with the Wii, which were excellent suggestions. A busy morning followed and we were both really looking forward to lunch !

A bowl of Bone Soup from the freezer with veggies , hummus and the last of the strawberries. No matter what the weather, a bowl of good soup makes for a good lunch !

Being St Patrick's Day and a great grandchild of Irish immigrants ( as well as others) , dinner was corned beef and veggies and soda bread. Normally it goes with boiled cabbage and potatoes and rutabagas, but this year I tried something different- I roasted several varieties of veggies instead of boiling them. It was much better !

Making their appearance was beets, kohlrabi, carrots, rutabaga, broccoli, cauliflower and leeks . I made the soda bread with half whole wheat flour, half white flour, moc buttermilk( skim milk soured with vinegar) baking soda and raisins. A healthier twist on a classic dish.

Today and tomorrow the temperature is going to reach almost 70, and then drop and bring snow come Saturday and Sunday. It's that crazy time of the year !

2 comments:

WWSuzi said...

You give me the courage to try new things!! I tried the red quinoa and nope i don't like it as much as the regular.

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I have never had regular quinoa much less the black kind! I really need to expand my horizons and use you as an example!

I hope you got all your house cleaning done. It's warm here today too, and rain/storms expected on the weekend - of course.