Monday, March 15, 2010

Lazy Valley Sunday


Odd day yesterday. Bob had to sing at all 4 Services this weekend and it left things somewhat rushed and uneventful. There are definite disadvantages to living as a single vehicle household in a town that has no public transportation at times. Normally I try to give Bob a good breakfast before he leaves for these marathon mornings but this day Nick slept very late - an odd occasion indeed- and Bob had to leave before he was up so meals were kind of odd. Nick has almost always been a kid who rises long before the roosters are even finishing their last dreams, so I have never had to deal with waking a child up. Waking a mommy up to instantly deal with a kid who hits the ground running, bubbly and excited, yes. When he sleeps late, I don't know how to act !
He finally woke up at 10 am, and by this time I was ready to eat paneling or something. Instead of oatmeal I grabbed lots of fruit( pineapples and papayas) and a Fiber One bar. One thing is for certain- Fiber One bars are way too sweet and do almost nothing to satisfy hunger. We still have a stash of them here as Bob still thinks they are a good choice for his take along foods. They are somewhat better than candy bars, but ....

We spent the morning reading the Sunday paper, making cole slaw and just kind of catching up on household things. I then checked out some homeschool materials I had wanted to investigate further and then we grabbed some lunch
A high fiber wrap spread with red pepper hummus, baby spinach and cole slaw. On the side were strawberries ( very plentiful now) and celery and carrot sticks. I think these are my go to sides. Both Nick and I are feeling that anything in a roll up is a good thing

Later in the afternoon Bob came home and we had to make a run for assorted household needs so off to Target we go. The sun peaked out for about 15 minutes and we had temporary aspirations of getting our for a walk. No go - the sun hid and the cool and damp were playing havoc with my knee.

Dinner was a new combination of vegetables roasted ( broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, baby carrots and leeks) over brown rice , served with south west chicken breasts ( black bean, salsa and corn topping).We are discovering that we love roast vegetables so much we may never eat them boiled again. This Wednesday for St Patrick's day instead of serving the traditional corned beef and boiled veggies I will make glazed corned beef with roasted root veggies and kale. It sounds a lot more appealing than boiled potatoes and cabbage !

Exercise plan for the day today is a walk and 30 minutes with Wii Sports resort. Hopefully Nick will not make a habit of his late rising!

5 comments:

WWSuzi said...

Once i started making roasted veggies i have hardly ever boiled them again :)

PhluffyPrincess said...

i agree 100% about the Fiber One bars...too sweet. plus they make me a little TOO regular! lol. great meals!

Enz said...

Roasted veggies are the best!

Thanks for your comment on my blog, my weekend WAS a bust - but today's a new day :)

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I don't care for the Fiber One bars either. I have so enjoyed roasting vegetables this season.

My little guys very rarely sleep late, but I often have to wake up the teenagers at 8:15. That's as late as they can sleep during the week!

Texasmom1974 said...

I have been roasting veggies for a few years. It's the only way my kids and I even eat veggies anymore! (Especially sweet potatoes, carrots, asparagus, etc..) Good luck and I love your meal ideas!