Friday, January 29, 2010

Water and walnut hummus


This morning while I was rowing on my Wii, a thought crossed my mind- canoeing is kind of like flying on water. Once you get the speed up, it's an exhilarating feeling ! Yes you have to watch for hazards and obsticles, but it gives me a freedom unlike anything on land. I get the same feeling from swimming as well. For a short time in my teen years I was a member of the Park District swim team, with the butterfly stroke as my event. Yes, fat girls can swim , and even do so competitively ! I broke no records, but I remember feeling like I was flying on water while I was practicing and competing. I have often considered learning to fly a plane for the same reasons. I will not fly as a passenger for reasons of a crippling fear, but I would pilot a plane in a heartbeat. I have begun to wonder if this love of feeling like I am flying on water has something to do with this Yin deficiency thing. I have a really deep connection to water that manifests when I do shamanic work, and the two have me wondering. And while I ponder, I fly on the virtual water and it is a little time spent in Heaven every morning. They say if you find an exercise or sport you love you will be more likely to do it often. I am in total agreement. Find the thing that speaks to your soul and your body will cooperate .

I have begun to notice non scale benefits from the rowing- I am able to stand and walk longer without pain in my hip , knees and lower back. Makes no sense according to the conventional wisdom because technically it is not strengthening my legs or abs one bit. It does get the blood circulating and gets me to take in an increased level or oxygen, but why is it helping my arthritic problems ? Could it perhaps be this weird water thing ? Don't know, don't care- just going to keep doing it !

After my workout I remebered that we were out of hummus for our current favorite must have lunch of hummus flatbread pizza, so time to make a batch. I decided to try this variety - walnut hummus. Normally hummus is made with tahini , which is made from sesame seeds and oil. However, it seems that any combination of beans, oils and nuts or seeds will work. Hence, Walnut Hummus can be made with somewhat easier to obtain and cheaper ingredients. It tastes very yum , and i can't wait to try it on our pizza at lunch !
Walnut Hummus

3 T lemon Juice
1/4 c water
3/4 c walnuts
2 T olive oil
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 t garlic
1/2 t salt
1 t dried parsley

Place all in food processor and process till smooth. Serve with crakers, veggies, fingers....

3 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

That sounds so good! I'm not a fan of tahini in my hummus for some reason. Trader Joe's makes a good one without it and when I make my own at home, I don't use any and it still comes out great! I bet yours, with the addition of the walnuts, is gonna be great!

Dutch said...

I just made a batch of spinach hummus but I know this walnut hummus will be the next I will try. Thanks

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I used to be on a swim team too, but freestyle and backstroke were my strokes. (This was eons ago!)

Your rowing sounds like it is really good for you. I'm so glad!!

Have a great weekend Diane!