Monday, November 23, 2009

Low Carb Stuffing and a question

Thanksgiving is Thursday, and we are going to my mom's for the meal. However, I cannot pass up the great deals on turkey at this time of the year ! I buy several , cook them and use the leftover meat in any recipe that calls for cooked chicken, and it makes for several healthy meals that can be made fast.

In the past I have made many healthy , whole grain stuffings involving things like wild rice, wheat berries, quinoa and so forth. Now that the approach for me is low carb, those will not work for our meal plans. So yesterday while I roasted the first turkey of the season, I invented a low carb stuffing that has a mouth feel similar to the traditional stuffing

Low Carb Suffing

9 almond meal muffins, crumbled
3 portions flax meal bread, crumbled
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
1 lb breakfast sausage( I used turkey)
1 cup turkey pan drippings

In a pan combine the onions, celery and pork sausage, Cook till sausage is brown, add the contents to a bowl with the crumbled breads. Place in an 9x9 pan, roast at 350 for 45 minutes

My son decided , after tasting this, that stuffing is his favorite part of Thanksgiving.

In other news, I keep reading about other low carb people who reach a stall or can't get the program going for them and they try a meat fast for 3-5 days. What you do is eat nothing but meat ( with the exception of up to 2 eggs) , drink nothing but water, and it helps to shatter any insulin resistance that you suffer with. Part of me is strongly considering trying this for myself, but the other part of me is saying that I should just sit tight, be patient and let the hormone roller coaster just run it's course. Have any of you tried this ? What was your experience ?

2 comments:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

That stuffing sounds like a great alternative! I have about half of my family who loves stuffing and the other half who doesn't! So I just make a smallish amount. I'm also terrible at gravy of any kind so I buy canned. (Isn't that terrible?!!)

I never did low carb so I'm not sure about the answer to your question. You might want to pop over to South Beach Steve's site - www.logmyloss.com - and see if he says anything about it. He does a modified South Beach low carb diet and has had a lot of success.

Take care and I hope you had a nice weekend.

AUTISMOMMA said...

I have done low carb and now low-ER carb for around twelve years. I consider it a lifestyle and in those several years of doing it, even I have never considered eating only meat - even if for only a few days. I think this is a big reason why many low carb diets get such a bad rap because some people do them that way and then people who don't know about low carb think the diet consists of only eating meat, eggs, and cheese. I can't tell you how many times I have been told over the years how it's "so unhealthy to eat low carb" only to find out the person telling me this thinks that low carb diets are only about eating meat, eggs, and cheese.

In the many years of eating low carb, the thing I think has been the biggest lesson for me is that keeping carbs down is important but keeping fiber up high is even MORE important. What seems to help me immensely when I am going wholehearted at my lower carb efforts is to make certain I eat a BIG salad every day....like big enough where it maybe makes up your entire lunch. I don't like iceberg lettuce. Romaine is fine. But honestly, my favorite salad leaf is baby spinach leaves. They have a wonderful texture and they are almost entirely made up of fiber.

Personally, I would not do an all meat thing for anything.