Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Flax Finds

I am discovering several interesting things that can be done with ground flax as a substitute for other grains. It can be made into bread, muffins and...hot cereal ! We just tried it this morning for breakfast. You take 1/4 cup ground flax, 2 T peanut butter and 1/4 tsp cinnamon, add 1/2 cup of boiling water, let sit for about two minutes and stir. Here is what you get -

It comes out creamy, thick and pretty darned filling. Nutritional stats for this are 351 calories, 5 grams of carbs, 14 grams protein, 5 grams of effective carbs, 29 grams of fat and 10 grams fiber.

I am going to try to make the flax seed foccacia bread as well, but I will hold off a day or two with that one. I am a little concerned that this level of fiber may be a bit "explosive" . Ground Flax is a time honored herbal remedy for dealing with cronic constipation. Should prove interesting to say the least.

In other news, it seems my body is responding to the lowered level of carbs with an amazing level of brain fog. Yesterday I sat trying to figure out two lunch options for over 3 hrs. Granted, there are a lot of variables I have to deal with, but this is ridiculous ! It will get better as my body adjusts, but till then coffee is going to be an absolute mandate around here. Needless to say because of the time spent in serious brain fog, it was a very bad day for exercise. Today I have to plan lessons for next week's homeschool, and I am hoping I can scape together three brain cells to do the job. They are predicting snow today , so the weather is cold and damp- not good for aching joints. looks like it is going to be a day spent with the Wii Fit Plus !

2 comments:

Dutch said...

What a great recipe. I use flax in my cereal & yogurt but I think I am going to try this. Thanks

AUTISMOMMA said...

I did not see an email address on your profile page, otherwise, I would have emailed you rather than leave this as a comment. Please free to delete it if you wish.

Anyhoo....I thought this recipe sounded really good and I made it to your exact measurement. I don't know if I somehow made this wrong or what but when I made it, it was almost like a slime and looked very unappetizing. After I got passed the looks of it, I took a bite and just about vomited. The texture was slimy and the taste was not at all pleasant. I tried adding some stevia liquid, and while the taste got better, the texture was still just too much for me.

How did yours turn out and were you able to eat it? I haven't gotten caught with your blog so I haven't been able to see if you've eaten this again since this post.

Thank you!