Monday, December 15, 2008

I'm in love !


Inspired by several other blogers who have taken the humble oat to levels I have never dreamed imaginable. I tried my hand at a new creation of my own for breakfast. It is also an attempt to counteract the "we are on vacation so we must eat cinnabons" mentality. Hubby is off for two weeks and we are in somewhat of a working vacation mode. So here is the 411 on the above bowl of yumminess- makes 3 HUGE portions

1/3 cup steel cut oats
1/3 cup barley( not quick cook)
1/3 cup wheat berries
1 cup dry milk powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
half a can of solid pack pumpkin
7 cups of water

Put it all in a crockpot at bed time . Then in the morning put in bowls and top with
2 tablespoons ground flax
1 tablespoon seed nut mix( sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas)
1 tablesoon coconut flakes
1/3 cup crasins
1 T goji berries
1 tsp healthy oil of your choice

I had a carton of yogert with this , coffee and water. It was so good I could eat it 3 meals a day ! And what is that you ask ? Dried fruit and nuts on Core ? I am not doing the Core program to the letter as i have very strong disagreements with some of the points. I belive that if you measure dried fruit and stick to one serving , it is okay. I also belive that nuts and seeds, if measured and eaten in a single serving portion are not only okay , but to be encouraged. They contain healthy fats, importaint nutrients and protien . They offer a high level of satiation .

So what am I doing ? Basically I am weighing and measuring everything and limiting my consumption to a single serving . I only consume healthy fats ( olive oil, grapeseed oil, flax seed oil and virgin coconut oil and two servings of those per day) and I am allowed one free starch carb a day, but it must be a whole grain. Any other starch I must count points for , and I am allowed 5 points per day. Once a week I may have a hamburger or hot dog type bun or a hoagie roll. I must have two meats and three dairys per day. In other foods I choose sugar free over fat free and I absolutely must consume 5 servings of non starchy veggies per day. I think i will call it 'Di's Diet". It is almost identical to what i did when I lost 110 pounds and reversed infertility.

No comments: