Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Tale of two breakfasts

Yesterday was the first day of "Back to the points", and I did well. I am allowed 28 points, but managed to come in at w27 for the day. I could have grabbed a piece of fruit to put me at the perfect points range, but I was not hungry, so I decided to bank a point. ( For those who have never done the WW points thing, you can "bank" a point or two each day to use for something big within the week. You are also allowed 35 bonus points per week,This is why people on WW sometimes are seen eating a candy bar, ice cream sundae, fast food burger. It is because you can- just not every day !) Getting back to calculating points was a momentary creaky, rusty wheel turning, but then once I began  it was like breathing. Trying to keep track of the points for 3 different people at 3 different point levels, well that is going to require a lot of post it notes for a while !

One thing I was really shocked about was how Wilford Brimley  may have been doing me wrong ! How may you ask ? Through Oatmeal . While on the surface oatmeal is a very healthy food ( high in B vitamins, fiber, protein and a whole grain) , it is not the best choice for someone losing weight . Here are the points values for two breakfasts- one clean eating, one not so clean eating

Overnight oats ( 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 c lowfat blueberry keifer, 1serving frozen blueberries, a sprinkle of cinnamon) - 6 points ( clean eating option)
Cheese Omelett ( 1 serving of egg beaters cooked in a microwave with a squirt of pam and q wedge laughing cow light cheese) 1 point ( not so clean eating option)

And the other thing about the overnight oats is for many people they will feel hungry  about mid morning because of the high carbohydrate( turn into sugar) hit to the bloodstream. The egg breakfast, for many people, will keep the blood sugar ( and hunger) stable for a longer period of time.

Numbers do not lie.The numbers are based on scientific calculations, which is the only language your body chemistry reads.

4 comments:

WWSuzi said...

When i do oatmeal i try to put some protein powder in as well. Helps keep me full!!

WWSuzi said...

I meant to add that some people have been putting egg whites in the oatmeal and it comes out like a custard.

Dutch said...

I bought steel cut oats yesterday and I am going to make overnight oats in my crock pot. I have never tried them.

Enz said...

Love your new look :)Hope to catch up reading in the next few days.