Thursday, June 4, 2009

Non scale victory

It has been said that you are what you eat, and I am learning entirely new meanings of that phrase, thanks to my son and his special needs. I am also getting an interesting little high five from the ghost of my father, who always told me that I could do anything I put my mind to. He also called me a hardhead, because once I caught a vision of something that I wanted, there was not a power in Heaven or Earth that could stop me. So these two forces met and challenged me through this very sweet channel, pictured wearing his brand new tye dyed tee shirt.

We have been working with supplementation and dietary changes to help him to lose a massive amount of weight , as well as come into the light from the darkness of Autism. So far we have seen a lot of small improvements, and today was another. This time it came in a medium that I am able to share with others.

Nick has never gotten the whole thing with art. First off, ,he has dysgraphya, which is a nerological weirdness that scrambles signals between his brain and hand muscles, so he struggles to write. It works something like this- decide to write the word love. Remeber how to spell it, and THEN remeber which direction the letters go, how to form them and struggle with your brain to get your hand muscles to coordinate. Now add autism's texuire issues that scream the pencil drags, the paper feels too loud and more. Handwriting has been a great struggle, and coloring or painting a nightmare. Enter in the "Mr Literal" factor of autism, where if you are told to color a picture, you do just that. Apply a mish mash of assorted colors onto the paper without any clue that you are supposed to stay in the lines or create something that is a representation of anything. Such as this picture, done by him roughly six months ago, at age 16 and a half
Today there happened to be an opportunity to do some coloring and drawing. For most kids, a collection of markers, crayons and such with a supply of paper or coloring sheets would provide some entertainment , but here they always brought great frustrtion, so i ignored them in the summer months. However an email led to a spontanious art lesson, which led into a coloring session, and a miracle happened

The very first picture, colored by my son in which color is used to bring a visual representation into existance . This is BIG stuff ! And while the scale may or may not be moing very fast for us, more important things are happening at lightning speed ,thanks to the dietary changes and supplements. Moms of these special guys- if you have the slightest inkling that biomedical intervention might work for your child, I would advise you to move Heaven and Earth to find a way to begin. Even if you cannot find a DAN! Doctor or Occupational Therapist, read all you can and apply what you can for your own child. It could make a world of difference !

4 comments:

JC said...

Wonderful victory. My grand nephew has the brain to hands to speech thing. I can tell he is a smart kid but he struggles to make his hands work. He didn't talk until he was 10. He is 13 now and still has trouble with some words.

Amalily said...

I am so happy that your son is making such great progress.

Sugar Bush Primitives said...

What a wonderful victory! With great struggle comes great satisfaction!

Hugs,
Mary

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

That is terrific! I can hear the positive hope and excitement in your post! A great day :)