Wednesday, June 24, 2009

listening to me

I want to clarify something- I have not given up the pursuit of weight loss, but instead have decided to shift the focus to being more attentive to what my body really wants and ignoring things like points, calories and so forth. I am an odd duck, because I actually crave things like fresh fruits, veggies and lean protein. In the past I have reached for really bad choices out of a desire to make things quick, save money or fit in with everyone else. End result , ,in my previous life before weight loss, I would crave a really ripe peach but agree to a bag of chips because that was what everyone else wanted. Or rather than hitting the supermarket salad bar to get what I craved, I would agree to a pizza because it was easier, faster and cheaper. Homey aint playin that game any more ! Instead of worrying about getting in so many points and not going over, I am eating what I am really hungry for. Starting with, what I belive to be the finest thing on the planet to eat in the mornings at the moment, my breakfast bowl !


Pumpkin oats topped with ground flax, olive oil, crasins, wheat bran, goji berries and coconut. I ran out of the goji berries , and I have to decide if these are worth the price to keep including. I enjoy the taste and texture of these, so I will probably buy more.

It has turned hot and humid here like overnight. Yesterday it reached 102 with 70 percent humidity, and it was hot even early in the morning. We went out for our walk early , and son got in a snit about something ( gotta love teens) and decided he had to run . Mainly away from me, and the heat proved to wipe him out quick. We cut that activity short ( at his weight he is still at high risk for having an exercise induced heart attack, so I do not push), and came back in to play with the Wii and other pursuits.

Lunch and dinner both wound up sandwiches with raw veggies and fruit on the side - not pictured because I forgot. It was decided that for this week and next sandwiches would be good fare while the heat is on. Home made iced non dairy lattes will also help to revive everyone in the late afternoon. Midafternoon, son and I have come to really enjoy our Green Monsters
This one is made with unsweetened almond milk, fruit salad( fresh pinapple, mango and cantalope) a handful of fresh spinach and a scoop of hemp powder. Hemp is a fantastic source of omega fatty acids that do your body so much good. No, you will not get "high" from these. While it is the same botanical family as marijuana and hashish is made from hemp, those parts come from the plant and not the seeds. That is one of the wonders of the plant community- each part of the plant preforms in a different way. Consider the tomato. The fruit is good to eat, but the stems and leaves are toxic. With a potato the tuber is wholesome but the vine and leaf is toxic.

I an embarking on yet another project- eliminate bremade "healthy" snack options. We buy a fair amount of cereal bars like Kashi, Oatmeal to go and Fiber One, and I want to put an end to this. One reason is cost. Another reason is with making them on my own I can create healtier options that do not contain unhealthy things. My son does well when eating glutens that come in a high fiber form, but not so well with ones that do not. (it's a puzzle to me) The other day I made the infamous "one point" black bean brownies, and my son opted for these over the kashi bars.

I feel better about feeding these to him than some other options, but they can be made even better. Current way is to take a can of black beans, rinse them and puree, and add to a box of brownie mix. Combine and bake according to the directions. I came across a recipe that I have in my files to make your own brownie mix, and this would yeild something cheaper and healthier with subsituting different items for healthier or more allergy free ingredients.


Brownie Mix


6 cups all-purpose flour ( can subsitute whole wheat or a gluten free mix)
4 teaspoons baking powder ( non aluminum is best option)
4 teaspoons salt
8 cups sugar ( can use Splenda, turbano sugar or so forth)
1 8 oz. can unsweetened cocoa powder

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa. Stir with a wire whisk until evenly distributed. Put in a large airtight container. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 10 to 12 weeks. Makes about 15 cups BROWNIE MIX.

2 1/2 cups of this mix equals one box of commercial brownie mix

1 comment:

Rosie said...

I'm going to try both those brownie recipes. I usually bake for Ross' kids... that's how I usually go off during the weekend. I've decided that I'm going to start making healthy desserts.

Those 1 point brownies look GREAT!