Monday, November 10, 2008

If life isn't stimulating enough

I have adrenal fatuige , and I do not sweat. Well, almost never. Now moving into menopause i get night sweats sometimes. But I have never in my life broken a sweat with exercising, no matter how hard I worked. Case in point, today. I got on my stationary bike and pedaled HARD for 30 minutes. The distance meter said I pedaled 20 miles. My heart is pounding, my breathing is fast, my muscles ache, but I did not break any kind of a sweat at all. Which means that even at this level, my metabolism is not getting revved up enough to burn fat.

Stimulating, isn't it ?

2 comments:

Rosie said...

Is that true about sweating and metabolism? When I was younger I didn't sweat very much... I use to run 5 miles in high school every morning... at different paces.... sometimes 10 miles and I hardly ever sweated yet doing that I lost about 50 pounds.

Now for some reason in my 30's I sweat like a man when I work out... sweat dripping off me leaving puddles when I just power walk.

Di said...

With adrenal stress you do not sweat. One of the other diseases in the adrenal spectrum is Addison's Disease, in which sweating becomes a very dangerous thing. Adrenal diseases impact the thyroid , and things like your basal body temperature is lower than normal ( mine is 96.5). I rarely ever sweat, and when i do it is because of breaking a fever or menopausal night sweats. When it happens I get damp on the back of my neck and forehead, and that is it. It makes the whole weight loss thing a real challenge.