Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pork chop casserole and weigh in


Last week as I was planning the menu , I was searching for pork recipes to use with the planned purchase of a big pork loin, and suddenly one of the best food related childhood recipes came to mind- Mom's pork chop casserole ! Every time she made it, it was a special event it seems. No real reason why- we would eat pork chops and rice for many other occasions. In fact, for breakfast she often served rice with butter and sugar and milk ( try it sometime- it is yummy !). However , when she combined them in this casserole, it was something special


Mom's Pork Chop Casserole , updated

3 pork loin chops
2 cups brown rice, cooked according to directions
1 c green onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped celery
1 carrot, chopped
1 green pepper, cut in rings
3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
1 large onion, cut in rings

In a skillet, brown the pork chops,remove from pan and set aside. Add 1/4 cup of water and saute the celery, carrot and mushroom 5 minutes.
Combine vegetables with cooked rice and green onions. Place in a casserole dish, sprayed with pam. Place pork chops on top of rice mixture
and top each pork chop with slices of tomato, onions and green peppers. Sprinkle with basil if desired. Cover with foil and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hr.


I served it with roast broccoli and a salad of romaine, watercress, dandelion, grapes and sliced almonds

Weigh in this morning. It seems that gluten free is not doing a lot for my weight, but it is making some pretty unexpected changes in the rest of my body, and I will keep on this way of life. So weight specifics are

Me- DOWN 1.4
Bob- DOWN 0.4
Nick- unknown...still asleep !

10 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

I should try this - I stink at making pork chops. They do not conjure up fond memories :)

Yay for the scale and new way of eating :)

WWSuzi said...

Hey down 1.4lb is a very good week :)

Enz said...

Down 1.4 is great....I'm with suzi..and the other changes are amazing. Take care of you.

Jeremy Logsdon said...

That sounds great. Tina isn't a huge fan of pork, so I'm always looking for a way that we can both eat it. I'll definitely be trying this one!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

That recipe sounds really great, except we don't eat pork. I wonder if it would be good with chicken?

Congratulations on the loss - I think 1.4 pounds is great.

karen said...

Nice loss!!! And VERY yummy looking dish! Selfishly I love that you've discovered the need to have the nuisance of gluten free living in your life ... I don't have to wonder if I'll have to try and tweak your recipes now. LOL :)

nick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Di said...

Thanks guys !
Diane- I have not tried it with other meat, but I imagine it would work with some time adjustment in cooking

Kim said...

Yummo casserole. Every once in a while my husband has a hankering for porkchops. I'll have to remember this dish. :) Glad you are seeing results in gluten free. I'm sure the weigh-ins will catch up. 200 dollars at a book store?? lol!! My husband would kill me. Man oh man...I can dream though. lol

Lindsay said...

Yummy! I love pork. Great job being down 1.4 way to go :)