Saturday, May 15, 2010

Celebration Pizza

I crawled back in bed yesterday morning because I got chilled sitting at my computer in the early morning hours. No better way to warm up than to cuddle up next to a warm fuzzy husband under the soft , fuzzy covers. He rolled over, kissed me and said
“16 years ago, my life was changed forever.”
Now many people make jokes about men forgetting anniversaries, but it seems to be an unspeakable horror when a woman does such. I momentarily wracked my computer brain, wondering what in the heck it was that I was supposed to remember. 10 seconds later it clicked and I said
“ I could have you commemorate the event by laying face down in the hallway and I spread the bills around you “


Bob and his fellow Deacon candidates in a gesture of obedience to God
He laughed. What was this momentous occasion you ask ? 16 years ago he was ordained as a Roman Catholic Deacon. 8 years of formation training lead to the point where he formally pledged obedience to the church through our local Bishop. A vow that was sealed with the laying on of hands, the anointing with Holy Oils and would be binding for life.


The actual moment he became a deacon- a fun reflection over his head
I often joke that it was the day I formally accepted his mistress. It is not meant as a sacrilegious statement, but simply a formal acknowledgment that he is as much property of the Roman Catholic Church and God as he is of me. While I am not of his faith path, I understand, respect and support his commitment.


Daddy as a Deacon
And such an anniversary deserves a celebration. Somewhere in the back of my mind I always remember that May 14 th is a special occasion, but rarely can I remember why without prodding in some sort. This nagging detail led me to plan a dinner that was somewhat special- fiddly pizza topped with roast veggies !


What is fiddly pizza ? It is made with a mix of 2 fermented dough mixtures and then additional ingredients to finish it off. I had attempted rolls using a similar technique last week, but found this particular pizza dough recipe on Kath Eats Real food, posted by her husband Matt. I topped it with spinach and roast mushrooms, onions and red peppers , and it was the most delightful feeling dough I have ever worked with and the taste was the best I have ever eaten. Well worth the effort !

Whole wheat Pizza crust ala Matt

Biga
* 150g whole wheat flour (3/4 cup)
* 115g water ( 1/2 cup)
* 5g salt (<1 tsp)

Preferment
* 75g whole wheat flour(1/3 cup)
* 60g water (1/4 cup)
* 1.5g instant yeast (<½ tsp)
* The Rest
* 25g whole wheat flour ( 2 T)
* 25g honey or molasses (1 tbsp.)
* 12.5g olive oil (1 tbsp.)

Dough
1. Stir all ingredients for biga and cover.
2. Stir all ingredients for preferment and cover. (If using active dry yeast, add a full ½
tsp yeast to the water, warmed, and let sit for 15 minutes before adding flour.)
3. Let sit, at room temperature, for 1-12 hours.
4. In a stand mixer outfitted with a dough hook, add the preferment and then the biga on top,
in chunks.
5. Add the honey and olive oil, and then the extra flour.
6. Stir on speed 1 until just combined, about one minute, and then on speed 3-4 for about 3 minutes.
7. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead by hand for a few minutes.
8. Cover the dough and either place in the fridge for at least six hours or let it rise for at
least one hour.
9. If you refrigerate the dough, let it come to room temperature for 1-2 hours before baking.
10. Preheat your oven to 500*.
11. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a thin circle.
12. Add toppings and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until crust has lightly browned.

It’s important to celebrate life’s events. It makes for memories, family bonds and helps the people in your life know that they are special. Celebrations fuel the soul. Nutrient dense foods fuel the body, and can help you make the most of this thing called life. Weight loss may not happen because of eating them, but they will provide you with the proper nutrition to withstand many diseases that are a part of our modern world. The better we are fueled, the better we feel and perform during all those things that we must do in our worlds. Pizza made with white flour, a ton of cheese and tomato sauce as the only veggie is not such a good fuel. One made with whole grains, less cheese and many vegetables is a better one. Pizza seems to say “hooray ! let’s kick back and enjoy life a little”. If it’s made with healthy ingredients, you know that your body will most likely agree with your attitude.

3 comments:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Congratulations on the 16 years of serving the Catholic church. That is a long time and I'm glad you made him something special to celebrate.

I've never heard of making a dough like that, but it certainly sounds wonderful!

Di said...

When I first read the recipie I thought it would never rise because it is all whole wheat , little yeast and no gluten addition, but the overnight portions make a kind of fermented sour dough sort of mix and it rises well. It is the first dough I have made that could actually be hand tossed , like you see in movies. Could make for a lot of fun with the kids !

Julie said...

Congrats to him!! Your blog is always so interesting! Thanks!