Friday, August 28, 2009

Rooting for roots !

Yesterday was one of those miracle days where everything fell into perfection, and I was able to get a LOT accomplished. We did school, I managed to create a realisting chore chart system thing AND I got some much needed housework done. May seem like nothing to some, but for me it is a lot. The act of juggling everything that needs juggling is a real trick sometimes. I even managed to start some new exercise, working on my ab muscles. One of my big problem areas is my lower stomach, and it is not just a cosmetic issue. It pulls my back muscles and spine out of alignment, and as I age it is pulling my bladder and female organs out of alignment. Simple ab exercises can help greatly and are something I should have been doing for a long time now, but there is never enough time and any time I do get to exercise gets devoted to things that burn calories. Dumb, but there you have it.

Breakfast was a new thing for us- polenta with cheese topped with a scrambled egg and sliced tomatoes. Per person you take 1 cup of water, 3 T cornmeal and a pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil, stir constantly till thick and pour in a dish or wide bowl. Then sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Scramble 1/4 c egg beaters and season as you desire, and place ontop the cornmeal . Serve with a sliced tomato. I think we will be having this one again !

Lunch was 2 oz turkey ham and 1 oz mozzerella rolled up on an Aldi's Original Wrap and baked at 350 for 20 min. carrots, celery,cucumbers and broccoli on the side with a probiotic yogert and diet soda

Afternoon snack was plums, almonds and another swirl pop, just because this time.


Dinner was a salad with romaine, cucumbers, radishes and orange peppers ollowed by turley meatloaf with roast beets and mashed tater turnips. Turnips make a very good, low starch alternative to potatoes that are also a lot lower in calories. Per person take a turnip, peel and pare it, then boil it in water and 1/3 pack stevia. When tender, drain , mash and add 1 tsp margarine, 1 tsp plain nonfat yogert and salt and pepper. Really good ! For beets I take them with their skins on, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 375 for about an hour- till they are fork tender. Cool , peel and slice.


Evening found me a little hungrier than usual, so I added a pudding to my fruit, nut and bar snack. I was also really craving chocolate - I suspect I am going to be getting a visit in a couple of days. Yes ladies, it was THAT kind of chocolate craving.

Tomorrow morning is weigh in again- I think it has been a good week !

1 comment:

TimCote7 said...

Wow, that sounds like a really terrific menu. I put a milk crate on the bed, a pillow on top and then my legs at the knees to do a great abdominal exercise that works really well. I think one of the toughest challenges is to work in the same place you eat and sleep. Though there are some clear advantages, keeping yourself on schedule and productive can be a tough one. Kudos to you, Di!