Tuesday, August 25, 2009

More satisfaction, less crabby woman

I am noticing that eating higher protein and less carbs gives a longer time of satisfaction. I do not know if this is true for all body types, but it seems to be for mine. I believe it has something to do with the PCOS metabolic syndrome factor. I feel more satiated and a lot more calm, especially in the mornings.

Breakfast was 1/2 cup cottage cheese with a cup of frozen mixed berries, a slice of rye bread toasted and buttered , coffee , water and supplements on the side. While fresh berries are still pretty plentiful, I wanted to see how this one worked with frozen for the winter months to come. This one wound up almost as fun s oatmeal to swirl around in the bowl - watch the purples, blues and reds blend together !

Lunch was 2 oz roast turkey breast on and Arnolds thin with mustard. Celery, carrots, broccoli , tomatoes on the side and a carton of Strawberry Probiotic Yogert to tag along and a Diet Cola. I think I am not such a fan of cold sandwiches any more. Heat seems to make food come alive- at least in the term of the entree.

I spent the afternoon chatting with a friend about some homeschool options as well as doing my own paperwork and trying to rember what it was I was supposed to be doing in the weekly rotation at this time. Ever have that happen ? You get so busy with so many details and things that you cannot see the forest through the trees. I think I need more post it notes in my life. We both got munch, and had this for a snack

Dinner included something new to us all- Califlower rice. You take a head of cauliflower and run it through the food processor to make shreds. Then in a pan you melt 1 tsp butter, 1 cup of water and 1 tsp chicken soup base, 2 t parsley, 1/2 t onion powder 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp tumeric and 1 tsp sweetner of your choice. Bring to a boil, add the califlower, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes- most of the liquid will cook off.

I served this with Chicken Caccitore and broccoli. To make the chicken, take a 4 oz boneless skinless breast per person, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, 1 onion and 1 green peeper chopped, 1 T minced garlic, a can of tomatoes, a can of tomato juice( I used lo sodium V8) , 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 t pepper, 1 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp oregano and a tablespoon of olive oil. In a large skillet with a lid put in the oil and brown the chicken. Remove from the pan andf add the vegetables, cooking till wilted.Add the tomato products, the spices and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and the chicken, cover and simmer for 45 minutes- keep checking to see that liquid does not reduce to much and add water if nessisary. Remove the chicken, turn heat to high and cook without a lid till the liquid is redued in half. Place sauce over the chicken. This one because of the reduction winds up with a really rich taste.

We spent a lazy sort of night watching episodes of The Real Housewives of Atlanta on On Demand. During the shows I grabbed an apple, 17 almomnds and a Fiber One Bar. My husband was observing that the lower carb approach seems to be working well for my son and I, and he wants to get on bard with it as well. So later today after school and between planning next weeks menu, I need to come up with some low carb options for his breakfasts and lunches that are lo carb, portable, affordable and fitting with his tastes. Happily he does not have a fish/shellfish allergy , and so I see a couple of sardine lunches in the future for him.

No comments: