Saturday, November 27, 2010

New toy on Black Friday

Black Friday is something you either love or hate it seems. Many years go Bob and I would head out on Black Friday to wander around the malls, take in the excitement of the season without buying anything and come home to make our annual audio Christmas Card for family and friends. Then life changed, and Black Friday became one of the best days to head to the woods for a hike , or to the grocery store to shop for groceries crowd free. We would buy the paper on Thanksgiving to look at the ads , and just make note of what the hot things were this season gift wise. This year we happened to have a little extra money and discovered a must have item of clothing for Bob that was slashed to a too good to resist price. I am still laid up, so he hand Nick awoke before the crack of dawn to head to the mall to make the purchase. It was found, bought, and another item was added. My sweet husband bought me a Cuisinart 7 cup food processor because he saw a terrific deal on it and he knew I wanted one. I have wanted to buy a good food processor since about the 3rd year of our marriage , but I never found a great deal on one. I simply made due with a few lesser appliances and all was well. However now I had a new toy and I was going to play . How do I play ? Make homemade Almond Butter !!


First you start with almonds. You can roast them, soak them or simply add just as they come in the store. I chose to roast them to bring out a more nutty flavor.( Yes my cookie sheets look terrible, but this one is a professional grade pan and it works wonderful so I ignore the black ) Next, put them in your food processor  and process for about 8 minutes ( you may have to stop on occasion to scrape down your bowl and let the motor cool). The mix turns to powder, then paste and then a smooth nut butter. No need to add oil, sugar, salt or anything at all.

The resulting butter needs to be refrigerated. Taste is terrific, costs way less than anything you can buy in the store and absolutely no harmful anything contained. I love it !

As to my injury, it is improving. Yesterday I was able to take about 30 steps on my own and could almost bend my leg enough to get into the shower. I am experiencing moments of shooting pain and spasms for no reason, which is a sign of healing. Injuries are merciful things when they happen because your body goes into a numbing state of shock. Healing however is a twitch because slowly all the sensations come back as the body rebuilds itself. I am continuing to take this as a good sign of progress. I also caught a glimpse of something on TV where people were dancing and I yelled 'Show off !!!" at the TV. It's funny how normal movement becomes so exotic looking when you get laid up !

5 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Yay for a new Cuisinart! I just got one for my birthday! I burnt out my last one making almond butter! True story!!!

I've been meaning to ask you thoughts about Ezekiel bread. Does it fall into the soaked grain category? I know it's flourless and the grains need to be soaked to sprout. Just wondering if you knew!

Joy said...

Sorry about the injury. I hope you get better soon!!

Keep focused!

Di said...

Marisa, I am really not sure ! I have seen a couple of soaked grain /flour people talk about it , but more in terms of making their own as opposed to buying it. I am not sure what is in the commercial stuff or the recipe, so I am as curious as you are about it.

blessedmama said...

I was out briefly for Black Friday yesterday, too. I'm not much of a crowds person, but the crowds really weren't out this year. I chuckled at your black pan. Don't you hate it when you have take a pic for your blog and your dish is less than desirable? Creative camera positioning always helps! And, I think it's great that you made almond butter first thing. I have yet to do that, but I should b/c I love it so. Please heal quickly.

E. Jane said...

Good for you coming home with a new Cuisinart! I didn't go out on Black Friday, but I know it's the day for deals. I'm hoping there will be another day before Christmas when the stores will want to move some more merchandise. I hope your injury is on the mend. Take care...