Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Perhaps an Exorcist would be more appropriate than a Repair Man

Have you ever suspected that one of your appliances hates you ? Some inanimate thing that you use as directed , but it seems to have a mind of it's own , and it continually thinks of ways to torment you ? I do, and it is my oven. For reasons unknown to me and the repair people, it chooses to work beautifully until I somehow insult it, and then it stops working. Until the repair people show up, and then it works perfectly and behaves completely. All will be well until Saturn goes purple or Mercury goes to Walmart or some obscure thing, and it does not work. Until the repair people show up. It dawned on me in the middle of the night  that it might be protesting what I ask it to make. Fresh bread, roasts, brownies- all serious temptation. I believe that something I made the other day was too tempting for it to create and not be invited to share a slice.
Ricotta Cake ! I claim innocence- I choose to make this in order to use up some leftover ricotta, and it is a very rich, tasty cake . So much so that it may have pushed whatever intellectual switch that rules my oven into a strike mode. Perhaps. I think it will have to be made by others, in a sort of scientific method thing to see if it does make an oven rebel out of jealousy or want.
Ricotta Cake

8 ozs WHOLE ricotta cheese
3 sticks of butter
2 3/4 cups of granulated sugar
6 eggs
3 cups of flour - sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
 Set out all ingredients to come to room temperature. Drain ricotta cheese in strainer. Grease a spring pan or
 angel food pan.Cream together ricotta cheese, flavorings and butter. Gradually add the sugar and salt. Cream until fluffy.Add eggs one at a time - mix well after each addition. Add flour one cup at a time - mix well after each addition. Pour ( or spoon) into pan. Bake for 1 1/2 hours .

For what it's worth, the repair people came yesterday , and once again the stove was working perfectly once they got here. I think I will have to make this cake again and see if it brings another oven fit :-) That.s my excuse, and I am sticking to it !

No comments: