Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's not pretty !

Yesterday, inspired by the previous day's excursion with watering plants without aid, I determined that it was time to start pushing myself towards strengthening the muscles again. It it to the point where standing or walking is painful, but not of a sharp, nauseating variety. There is a difference- building muscle strength is pain, but it is a more mellow, core level sensation. Injury pain is sharp, blinding and demands immediate attention. Personally, I think healing pain is more sustained, and therefor a lot worse than the other ! However pain must be endured to heal, and it is best to get about the buisness of facing it sooner than later with recovery for me. So I set a goal to take 1,000 steps during the day. Not run a marathon, not climb a mountain, but simply get in 1,000 steps throughout the day without aid. I strapped on my pedometer and set about the day, encouraging myself to take extra steps whenever possible. It felt good AND painful, and I was excited to learn my step total for the day. Turns out I positioned it wrong, and for the entire day I registered 5 steps. Today is another day, and I have the pedometer positioned better, so we will try again !

Sometimes the results you get are not what your eye expects to see. I was expecting to see a number at least close to 1,000 with the pedometer, but didn't. Yet I know that I did more to be mobile than the day before. When I went to make dinner, I was expecting to have a dish with a pretty outcome, but did not get  one. I made a quiche with a crust, which is basically a pie , and for me that means mini disaster. Pies are not my longsuit at all ! I struggle to get the crust rolled properly , only to be unable to serve a piece in a way that looks pretty. It frustrates me, so I usually skip pie making if at all possible.  Yesterday was the first of three Ember Days ( an ancient custom that is sort of a mini thanksgiving for the season and a rent collection day for rural communities) , and by tradition it is a day of fasting  ( meatless). I discovered this recipe thsat involved a whole wheat, no roll crust, and I was inspired to take a chance.





As you can see, the presentation was not good, but the taste definitely was !    

Crab and Kale Quiche

    1 Single “no-roll” whole wheat crust
    3 Tbl. Butter
    2 cloves Garlic
    1/2 Cup chopped Sweet Onion
    1bunch kale, chopped
    1 Cup cubed Swiss Cheese
    1 – 1 1/2 Cups Crabmeat ( moc crab in my case due to an allergy)
    3 Eggs
    1 Cup Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
    1/2 Cup Milk
    1/2 Tbl. dried Parsley
    1/4 tsp. ground Celery Seed
    Sea Salt & Pepper
    Paprika

    Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare your pie crust pastry dough, and press into a sturdy 9in pie pan. Bake 20 min. Let cool slightly before adding quiche filling.

    Meanwhile, melt butter in a pan, and gently saute garlic and chopped onions, adding in the fresh kale  when almost done. Season with salt and pepper.
    Beat eggs, yogurt, and milk together, adding in the celery seed powder and salt & pepper. Add crab, kale mixture  and swiss cheese to the pie crust (in that order), and pour egg mixture evenly on top. Sprinkle with a light dusting of paprika. Reduce oven temperature to 375 F, and bake for 23-30 min, until quiche is set. Serve warm or cold.

Crust:
1/4 cup Butter, softened
1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
1  1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 tsp salt
Water     
Process in a food processor  and press into a pie pan

I think next time I make this I will do it as individual quiches or chill it before serving. It may have slid, but it was very tasty. As to real men not eating quiche ? Both of my real men wanted seconds.

No comments: