Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happy as a Clam

For much of my adult life, family history has been something that I have been very interested in. A year ago for Valentines Day my husband, the sweetie, bought me a subscription to the World Wide database at Ancestry.com, and it was the most valuable gift I have ever received. Genealogy can tell you a lot about yourself, about world history and explain things like why you have always loved hills and craved excitement. The more I learn, the more questions I seem to have and the more I dig. Some days I stumble upon major things like pictures of my great great grands, and it encourages me to dig for hours. Till my son begins to look at me like I am a Mom Gone Wild and asks what's for dinner ? My husband will stare in sympathy but not ask because he does not want to appear like some horrible husbandly overlord who wants to treat me as a slave. Or more likely that he does not want to incur the three month wrath that a phrase like "Are you going to get off that thing and make dinner" would provoke. Wise man !

Yeah, the rudeness of some people ! How dare they interrupt my mental Indiana Jones sort of fun ! Feed them I must. Yes, there are always carry out options or even having one of them cook. They do on occasion, but I will share a little secret- one of the foundations of a long , happy marriage is knowing how to cook well and do it often. Some will say it is because the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but I think it's deeper. If a man can be in a place where he does not have to fight, feels accepted and comfortable and can get a stomach comfortably full, he is very unlikely to go anywhere. Especially if his stomach is taking a fairly long time digesting the last yummy he ate, making him have the speed of a sloth on a bender. Perhaps it sounds insulting, but it is not meant to be. It's a simple observation of biology and nature.Security brings fidelity. You want to make him happy ? One powerful way is learn to cook. The tricky part is finding good recipes that you can toss together when you are in the middle of reading fascinating documents that link your great great grandmother with Lincoln's butcher and other fancy stuff. This is one I have found to work

   
Garlic Pasta with clams

1 lb pasta( linguini is the norm but any will do)
6 cloves of garlic, de germed and sliced (the larger the piece, the less intense the taste)
1/3 to 1/2 c olive oil
2 cans minced clams, undrained
handful of italian parsley, chopped

Cook pasta in a large pot. Meanwhile in another pot saute the garlic in the olive oil until it starts to sweat- you do not want this to brown ! Add the clams with the liquid and heat through. Turn off the heat. When pasta is cooked, drain, place in a bowl and pour the clam garlic mixture on top. Toss, and add fresh parsley and toss. Serve- sprinkle with red peppers or Parmesan cheese if desired.

Simple, filling and yummy. Quick clean up as well, and you can go back to your searching or limbo dancing or whatever it is that you have become passionate about. Happy wife, happy life !

No comments: