Saturday, April 3, 2010

Good Friday and weigh in


Yesterday was Good Friday- a day devoted pretty much to religious observance by Bob and Nick. Bob had a sacred concert, dinner appointment and then evening Mass, Nick got completely engrossed in the coverage on EWTN of all of the observances and I wound up having to watch with him and explain various gestures and symbols. Other than a walk in the morning and playing some Walk it out , the day was very much a slug day.


Breakfast was Hot Crossed Oatmeal ! Hot Crossed Buns are a traditional Good Friday Dish that is very tasty but not of the greatest nutritional value. Instead of these fruity buns I made oatmeal with apple, pear, dates and topped it with a cross made of coconut. It was good.

Lunch began a quest to use up the veggies that we had bought for the week , failed to eat because of two lunches at Sweet Tomatoes, and could bot be frozen. It was also going to be our big meal together for the day , so I made wholewheat pasta with kale and topped it with ricotta lentil balls ( from the freezer) with marinara sauce. On the side was a salad of romaine, watercress, avocado and temple oranges. Good and FILLING !


Last night I saw had a mountain of green produce in the fridge that I hated the thought of tossing, so I made a batch of Green Monster soup. Pureed soup will freeze very well- fresh greens will not. I cut up 1 large sweet potato, 4 small yukon gold potatoes, a head of broccoli, a bunch of fresh spinach , 3 leeks and 8 cups of chicken stock and put it in the crockpot till all the veggies were tender, and then I pureed it with the immersion blender. Yummy ! Because of the chicken stock it is not meatless, so Bob could not eat this yesterday, but Nick and I certainly could. I served it with grilled cheese and tomato English muffins topped with basil and carrot/celery sticks. Green Monster soup is pretty darned good !

Weigh in this morning- I lost 1.4 lbs for the week. The guys both gained 2 lbs for some reason. This too shall pass.

1 comment:

WWSuzi said...

Nice loss this week :) Love the hot cross oatmeal idea!!