Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Some results of this way of eating

So we have all been led to believe that if we eat healthy ( i.e. modern definition that says it must be low in saturated fat, sodium and calories) we will lose weight and be healthy. After nearly 10 years of constant attempts to "eat healthy" , my weight did not drop, my arthritis worsened and I developed food allergies to nuts, fish and a near fatal reaction to shellfish.

For about 3 months now I have tossed everything that is believed about eating healthy in favor of eating nourishing, real food. Whole eggs, whole milk, butter, coconut oil, soaked grains, bone broths and fermented vegetables. Two weeks ago I accidentally consumed some shrimp ( shellfish- and it had me very frightened for a while) , and had absolutely no reaction. This past Saturday I enjoyed a dinner of boil and peel shrimp with no reaction. Through eating nourishing, I have reversed my allergies to nuts, fish and shellfish. My arthritis continues to improve.

I may be wrong , but I would say eliminating allergies is real health. I am not sidetracked from the weight loss journey, but rather I no longer consider it to be important. A number on the scale or a clothing size is absolutely not an indicator of your quality of health, no matter what you Doctor or Insurance Company would like you to believe. Real health is my only objective.

1 comment:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

That is wonderful news, Diane! You are right about health - it is much more than just a number on the scale!